Typically when I think bread pudding I think of cool crisp Autumn days but not with this bread pudding! This version brings all that Spring and Summer has to offer with sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb. It's truly a delicious transformation :)
- 4 egg whites
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbl vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 4 cups day old bread, cubed
- 2 cups gingersnap cookies, roughly crushed
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 1 cup diced rhubarb (you can double up on strawberries if you don't have or like rhubarb)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease 11 x 7 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Whisk egg whites, eggs and milk in a bowl. Add in sugar, vanilla, orange zest and cinnamon and whisk until combined.
- In a large bowl toss together bread, gingersnaps, strawberries, rhubarb and 1/4 cup of walnuts. Add the egg mixture and toss to coat. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and spread evenly in the dish. Cover with foil.
- Bake 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts and bake until golden for about 15 minutes. Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving.