If your a fan of chewy fresh from the oven bagels this recipe is for you! These bagels are surprisingly easy to make and don't take much time. They also freeze well so you can stock up! Create your own flavor!
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbl honey
- 3 cups all purpose flour (you can also use bread flour)
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 quarts water
- 3 tbl honey
- 1 egg white
- dried minced onion
- everything seasoning mix
- cinnamon sugar
- dried garlic
- asiago cheese
- pepper flakes
- Place all ingredients except cornmeal and egg white into bread maker in the order listed. Select the dough setting on machine and allow to mix, knead and rise.
- Remove dough from bread machine and place onto floured surface Begin shaping into balls. For large bagels shape 8 balls, medium shape 10 and small shape 12. Poke a hole into the center of each ball and spin on floured surface to stretch the center hole (essentially making a bagel shape).
- Place a clean dish towel over shaped bagels and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Meanwhile, boil 3 quarts of water in a large pot and add in 3 tablespoons of honey. Prepare cookie sheet and dust liberally with cornmeal.
- Once water is boiling, boil the bagels (may only be able to fit a few at a time) for 30 seconds per side. Drain off excess water as good as possible and place onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Brush bagels with egg white and sprinkle desired topping on top, or leave plain. Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately or allow to cool and store in a paper bag for up to 2 days.