Sometimes you feel like a nut.....sometimes you don't. Here's a homemade version of the coconutty candy bar!
- 1 (14 oz) bag sweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 c confectioners sugar
- 1/2 c cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 (14 oz) can light coconut milk
- 1 (12 oz) bag semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread 1 cup of coconut onto baking sheet and bake 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Line 13 x 9 inch pan with foil and lightly grease. In a food processor or blender, place the cooled coconut, flour and confectioners sugar and pulse until coarsely ground. Add in pats of butter until combined and looks like the consistency of sand. Press mixture into a 13 x 9 inch pan and bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- In a medium sauce pan place the coconut milk, granulated sugar and cornstarch and whisk until mixed. Heat on medium to high heat until simmering and continue to whisk until mixture is very thick (2-4 minutes). Fold in remaining shredded coconut. Pour coconut mixture over prepared crust in an even layer. Allow to cool and set up in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Once cooled, cut into bars and place onto wax paper. If you want to use nuts place 2 almonds over each bar. Melt chocolate gently over a double boiler. Spoon chocolate over each bar and allow to harden (helps to place back into fridge).