My daughter loves the canned fruit cocktail, especially the cherries. But I hate that it is filled with sugar and to me the fruit seems almost fake. Here is a simple way to make fruit cocktail with actual fresh fruit and you can control the amount of sugar :)
Makes about 5 jars
- Quart size canning jars and lids
- Variety of fresh fruit (steer clear of very soft fruit such as bananas)
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/4 cups sugar (you can go a little less here if you like)
- Prepare your fruit by washing and cutting it into quarters (or the size you like for fruit cocktail). Begin to boil you water in a large stock pot with a rack placed on the bottom. I use a large stock pot with a circle rack fit from my microwave, it happens to fit perfectly. Place your jars in the pot and heat to a boil to sterilize making sure water level is at least 1 inch above jar.
- Remove jars and lids with tongs and dry on a towel. Bring water back up to a boil. Meanwhile, heat water and sugar in a large sauce pan until sugar has melted.
- Fill the jars with a mixture of the fresh fruit. Top with the sugar water leaving about an inch or so of head space. Screw lid on tightly.
- Place carefully in water and bring to a boil. Once boiling process jars for 25 minutes. Carefully remove from water and place on a towel to cool.