Monday, April 08, 2013

Sausage, Kale + Sweet Potato Soup

I'm on a mission to lose all of my baby weight-- but since I'm nursing I need to still eat high calorie nutrient-rich foods. This soup is the perfect comfort food that is packed with nutrients!  Hope you enjoy.

Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4th_time/6917395670/


You'll Need:

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil 
  • 4 cups chopped onion (about 2 large) 
  • 1 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced 
  • 1 pound sweet turkey Italian sausage
  • 8 cups coarsely chopped peeled sweet potato (about 2 1/4 pounds) 
  • 5 cups water
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 (16-ounce) package prewashed torn kale
  • 1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained 

Directions:

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Remove casings from sausage; add sausage to pan. Cook 5 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned, stirring to crumble. Add potato, 5 cups water, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes. Gradually add kale; cook 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and beans; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Sizza

1 comment:

  1. I think this sounds very yummy... since I prefer hearty soups and stews in the autumn, I will file this in my Autumn Recipe file and enjoy it in a few months time. Thank you for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete