Saturday, April 28, 2012

Homemade Greek Gyros

I just got back from vacation in Florida.  While I was there we visited this quaint Greek village in Tarpon Springs that had wonderful food, interesting culture and happens to be known for the worlds finest sponges.  While I found the sponge divers and history of the city interesting what really got me (as usual) was the food.  We had the most delicious Gyro's and Greek pastries.  I had to recreate my experience when I got home ...it brings me back to that little Greek restaurant in the warm Florida sun!

credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffreyww/6042487640/


Ingredients

  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 lbs ground lamb or a mixture of ground lamb and beef
  • 1 tbl finely minced garlic
  • 1 tbl dried marjoram
  • 1 tbl ground rosemary
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Place onion in a food processor and pulse for 10 to 15 seconds. Remove and squeeze excess liquid from the onion by placing it into a dish towel or strong, thick paper towel.  
  2. Place onion back into the processor and add in meat and the remaining ingredients.  Pulse until the meat has become a fine paste.
  3. Place meat into a loaf pan making sure to press meat into pan along the sides and place pan into a water bath in the oven.  Bake for 60 - 70 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 - 170 degrees. 
  4. Remove from oven and drain off any fat.  Place a brick wrapped in aluminum foil over the meat and allow to sit for 15 - 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 175 degrees.
To Serve:

Slice the meat.  I like to sear it on a hot griddle so the meat gets a little crispy.  Serve with warm pita bread, tzatziki sauce (store bought or homemade), sliced tomatoes and onions and feta cheese. 




Lucy~

1 comment:

  1. I loveeee Greek food. This looks great :) I'm a sucker for red onions...attractive no? Your blog is lovely by the way. I will definitely be a frequent visitor.

    Do follow back if you get a chance :) www.fromcupcakeswithlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete