I have to admit, I have never heard of this Italian pie before (guess it's because I'm not Italian) but I'm so glad I found it. Its like cross between a massive stuffed pizza and quiche filled with Italian meats and cheese. This is decadent and savory and the perfect addition to Easter brunch!
1 1/2 lbs thick sliced ham, diced
1 1/2 lbs variety of Italian meats, diced (salami, pepperoni, ham, capicolla, prosciutto), add in mixture of your favorites
1 lb of ricotta (traditionally Italian basket cheese is used but ricotta can be substituted)
1 lb brick of mozzarella, diced
3/4 lb provolone, diced
1/4 cup shredded parmesean cheese
2 lbs pizza dough
4 tbl melted butter
Spring form pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl whisk eggs until incorporated, add ricotta and mix well. Add in shredded parmesean, diced mozzarella, provolone and meats and mix until incorporated, set aside.
- Brush spring form pan with melted butter. Roll out half of the pizza dough and arrange dough into the bottom of the spring form pan allowing to drape over the sides. Be sure the dough is thick enough so there will not be any tears.
- Pour egg and meat mixture into the spring form pan over the dough.
- Roll out remaining half of the pizza dough and place over the egg and meat mixture. Pinch the dough around the sides of the pan making sure to seal tightly. Brush the top with butter. Bake 60-70 minutes.
- Allow to cool 2 - 3 hours. Remove the spring ring from the pan and serve cool or room temperature.