Zinc Oxide and seed oil are the safest, most effective natural SPF for your kids (and adults, too for that matter). Below is a list of scary ingredients in common (the majority) sunscreens. I'd rather not slather that on my little one with a harmful, toxic, chemicals that will do more harm than the sun, thank you very much.
- Oxybenzone – The most commonly used ingredient in toxic sunscreens. It acts like estrogen, alters sperm count, causes hormonal disruptions, and linked to endometriosis.
- Homosalate – Disrupts estrogen & progesterone production
- Octocrylene – High rate of skin allergies
- Avobenzone - Linked to cancer
- Octisalate – Environmental toxin
Sunscreen is designed to block UV rays. But while it’s at it, it also blocks vitamin D. Low levels of vitamin D can lead to:
- Autoimmune diseases
- Heart disease
- Common colds & flu
- Skin cancer
The best way to get more vitamin D is by taking fermented cod liver oil (FCLO) everyday. Read more about FCLO here and find it here. In addition to having lots of vitamin D, FCLO is an anti-inflammatory. A sunburn is inflammation of the skin caused by UV rays. Therefore, FCLO helps prevent sun damage before it starts. Keep in mind that not all cod liver oils are made the same. You want fermented, vitamin rich cod liver oil. FCLO is one of the best natural sunscreens you can find.
DIY Natural SunscreenMaking a nontoxic, DIY, natural sunscreen is easy. Here is a list of natural sunscreen ingredients that provide sun protection when applied topically:
- Here is a list of essential oils that provide sun protection (note: NEVER use citrus essential oils when you are in the sun. They are photosensitive.):
- Here is a list of carrier oils that provide sun protection:
- Other natural ingredients that provide sun protection: