Fall is right around the corner and I'm ready for pumpkin! These spiced pumpkin muffins are a treat....the cream cheese filling in the center is a perfect surprise!
- 3/4 cup cream cheese (reduced fat can be used)
- 2 tbl honey
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (15 oz) canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/3 cup oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or coat with cooking spray.
- Mix together cream cheese, honey, lemon zest and 1/4 tsp of vanilla until combined. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt in a large bowl. Beat eggs, egg white in a small bowl; add in brown sugar and remaining 1 tsp of vanilla and whisk until combined. Slowly fold in canned pumpkin and oil until combined.
- Add wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Spoon half the batter into muffin cups. Add heaping teaspoon of the cheese filling to the center of each muffin, cover with remaining batter.
- Bake approximately 13 - 15 minutes until the edges start to brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.