For many Twinkies were a childhood favorite. Recreate your love of the twinkie at home with this easy recipe. It's easy to play around with the flavors so you can try out different combinations :) You don't need a fancy mold to bake the batter in, it' easy to create your own. Click here for instructions!
For the cake the base is a box of cake mix. If you want a traditional twinkie go with either a yellow cake mix or a sponge cake but feel free to experiment!
- 1 box cake mix (any flavor)
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 box pudding mix
- you can switch it up here too, if your using a devils food or chocolate cake go with chocolate otherwise vanilla works well with most cake flavors
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and create your twinkie molds according to linked instructions. Spray molds with cooking spray and place on baking sheet, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the cake mix with the pudding. Make a well in the center and add in the wet ingredients. Whisk until well mixed.
- Pour batter into the molds 2/3 of the way up. Bake for about 12 - 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 7 oz marshmallow fluff
Lemon Filling: omit vanilla extract and add in lemon extract
Coconut Filling: add in 1/2 cup shredded coconut
Fresh Fruit Filling: add in 3 tbl finely diced fruit