Monday, December 10, 2012

Chunky Knit Blanket

I made this this chunky knit blanket for my son. He picked out all the colors, so just for that alone- he loves it! Plus, the yarn I used is really soft and thick which makes it super cozy. Although I can knit, I do not know much about reading knitting patterns {I will learn one of these days!}...so you'll have to bear with me while reading my instructions I'll provide below. It is very easy!

What you'll need:
8 balls of Bernat Softee Chunky Yarn


Circular knitting needle, size 15, length 29 inches
Crochet Hook, size 9

...and patience {because this is my first attempt at giving directions on something that I've made!}

Here goes:
Knit 58 stitches onto circular needle.

{Knit full row, Pearl full row}-> 3 times.
{Knit 1 full row. On next row, alternate 4 stitches Knit with 5 stitches Pearl.} -> 7 times
Alternate this till the color runs out (I did 1 ball for each color, 7 colors, 7 balls).

Finish Edging in your final color with a 3 stitch Crochet, hooking on two strands of yarn, between knitting stitches, all the way around.

Soooo, if you're a pro at knitting- I am sure you can give me a few pointers! And, I would really love any advice...also- are these instructions correct? I think so, but is there a way for me to be more clear with the technical abbreviations? Thanks, in advance, for any input!

♥, M.L.E.



1 comment:

  1. Very nice blanket. I knit and here are a few tips:

    Finished size: (measure on a flat surface after blocking, if blocked, if not - still measure on a flat surface after the blanket has relaxed a few minutes.
    Yarn (as described)
    Knitting Needle (as described)
    Crochet Hook (as described)
    Gauge: -- sts by -- rows (knit a swatch at least 6X6 inches in Stockinette Stitch. From the middle of the swatch - not from the edges - measure and count how many rows are in a 4x4 inch width, and how many stitches are in the 4x4 inch length. You can use scrap/contrasting yarn to mark the edges of the 4X4 area, or markers used for knitting.

    Instructions:

    Cast on 58 sts

    Row 1: knit
    Row 2: purl
    Repeat rows 1 & 2 three times
    Row 7: Knit
    Row 8 - 15: K4, P5, repeat K4, P5 to end of row(s)

    Repeat Rows 1 - 15 for each color chosen, or until a color has run out at the end of the row. Do not change colors in middle of row, only change at the end of a row.

    Bind off last row in pattern. Finish edges with SC (Single Crochet) in yarn color of your choice, with 3 SCs in each corner to make squared edge. Bind off and weave in ends. Note: On the vertical sides you may need to SC in each side loop, and maybe include one CS (Chain Stitch) occasionally to to allow for stretching. On horizontal rows SC in each knitted stitch.

    ReplyDelete