Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cwisnieski/6373498253/
Make the onion dip beforehand, and refrigerate. It's one of those dips that are even better the next day.
Spicy Onion Dip,
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 Vidalia onions, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 tablespoons hot sauce(to your liking)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
1. Add the olive oil and butter to a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until caramelized, about 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from the heat and allow the onions to cool.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 small onion, grated
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 1/2 pound cooked shrimp, cleaned and tails removed, chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- cooking oil for frying
1. Preheat oil in a deep-fryer or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Fry in batches for 2 to 3 minutes each. Remove from the oil to paper towels to drain and season immediately with salt and pepper Transfer to a serving platter or bowl and serve with the onion dip while still hot.