1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup apple cider
1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
Caramel squares for melting
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 medium apples (7 to 8 ounces each)
(Makes 4 apples)
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the apples on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, carefully cut the top 1/2-inch from each apple.
- Using an apple corer or a small melon baler, scoop out the stem, core, and seeds from each apple, leaving the bottom intact.
- Stand the apples in a 9-inch square baking dish, cut side up.
- Divide the coarsely chopped nuts among the apples, about 2 tablespoons of nuts per apple.
- Warm caramel squares in microwavable bowl or double boiler.
- Place 1 1/2 teaspoons of the butter inside each apple, on top of the nut pieces, and then generous spoonful of warm caramel.
- optional: In a small bowl, whisk together the cider and sugar and pour the cider mixture over and around the apples.This will make apples extra juicy!
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, place the baking dish in the oven and bake the apples uncovered until tender, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, carefully remove the apples from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot or warm, spooning the pan juices over the apples, and add vanilla ice cream if you want!
Enjoy this delicious dessert with your family ;)