Thursday, March 22, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent


Lucy and I have been brainstorming ways to make our own everyday products {soon to be a new category on the main page!} and today I made my first batch of homemade laundry detergent...and I am hooked!
Now, for all you Pro-DIYers out there this may seem like a small step, however it's a start- and I would LOVE to hear any tips and tricks of YOURS that you'd like to share... {post to FB here!}

Here is the basic recipe for laundry detergent. It will save you $$$ and is also better for your family without all the chemical additives. Read more here on it's benefits.

DIYNatural.com is a great resource for all things homemade for your home.

This is a modified version I decided to make of the laundry soap recipe originally from DIY Natural. :

1 Cup Borax
1 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Bar Ivory, shaved with cheese grater
1/2 Bar Fels Naptha Laundry Soap Bar, shaved with cheese grater

Stir all ingredients together, for about 5 minutes, until the soap shavings are small (about 1/2 the size of a grain of rice).

Use 1-2 Tablespoons in your Laundry. Wash as normal.
I also add in  1/2 Cup White Distilled Vinegar (optional).

~MLE


2 comments:

  1. Where do you get the Fels Naptha Laundry Soap Bar? It may be with the regular laundry products -- just never have paid attention. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is actually right in the detergent isle....take a look, hopefully your store carries it but if for some reason they don't I see it on amazon.com for $3.77 with free shipping!

    ReplyDelete