Monday, February 21, 2011

My Guide to the Ultimate PB&J

I am a big fan of Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches.  For me, it is the ultimate go to lunch that requires no thought and hardly any preparation.  BUT I gotta have good peanut butter & jelly.  I know what your thinking, what are you talking about....good peanut butter & jelly?  Peanut butter is peanut butter and jelly is jelly.  WRONG.  Most of us are accustomed to grabbing the standard plastic tub of peanut butter and selecting any ol'jelly in your favorite flavor.  My world changed when I switched to 'natural' peanut butter.  Unlike other 'natural' products that usually come with a higher price tag or lack in flavor this peanut butter will prove you wrong!  What you get in this jar is peanuts...plain and simple.  My pic for the best peanut butter is Teddy peanut butter (http://www.teddie.com/peanutbutter.html).  No unnecessary additives so it tastes like it should....like peanuts!

OK, now for the jelly.  Now, I'm typically not a fan of low/no sugar because I don't use artificial sweeteners.  BUT, I came across this jelly that has 1/2 the sugar which makes the jelly a little less sweet...which I think is a good thing.  Smuckers (http://www.smuckers.com/products/category.aspx?groupId=1&categoryId=7) low sugar jelly is sooooo good!  Unlike other jelly's that seem to mask the flavor of the fruit with tons of sugar, this jelly actually tastes like the fruit that's in it.

Last but not least....the bread, or what I use, the wrap.  Some will argue that you can't have a PB&J with out good ol' white bread.  I'm a white bread fan as much as the next person but I need something to stick with me for at least a few hours!  That's why I'm a fan of Joseph's Tortillas (http://www.josephsbakery.com/p-10234-Flax-Oat-Bran-and-Omega-3-Whole-Wheat-Flour-Tortilla).  My personal favorite is the flax, oat bran & whole wheat flour wrap.  The flavor and texture is surprisingly delicious considering all the 'good for you' stuff in it.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

One more note to mention about the peanut butter...a special bonus if you will.  The peanut butter is naturally looser in consistency which makes a little too convenient to drizzle on top of ice cream....but soooo good!  If you like a firmer consistency just keep the container in the fridge.

Lucy~

No comments:

Post a Comment