Sunday, September 14, 2014

Homemade Pie Crust with Bacon Fat

I save my leftover bacon grease in a mason jar and store it in the fridge.  I mostly use it to grease a skillet when making french toast or eggs.  I decided to try adding a bit to my pie dough in place of shortening and it came out delicious and perfectly flaky!  


Makes a double crust:
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tbl sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 5 tbl solid bacon fat
  • 12 tbl butter, cut into cubes
  •  5 - 6 tbl ice water
Place the flour in a food processor or large bowl and mix in the sugar and salt.  Add in the butter and bacon fat and pulse food processor or use a pastry cutter until dough resembles course sand.  Slowly add in water 1 tablespoon at a time and work dough until it comes together (may still be slightly crumbly).  Divide dough evenly into 2 pieces and form into a ball.  Wrap with plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes or until ready to use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment