This stew is deliciously rich and hearty and the Guinness adds an extra depth of flavor that is mouth watering! This can be made in a slow cooker or heavy cast iron pot. Serve with crusty bread for a stick to your ribs meal :)
- 2 lbs stew beef
- 1/4 cup flour, seasoned with salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 lbs potatoes, diced (peel if desired)
- 2 parsnips, sliced
- 1 (16 oz) bag baby carrots
- 1 tbl brown sugar
- 1 bottle Guinness beer
- dash of worceshire sauce
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- In a large skillet (or heavy cast iron pot if that is what you are using for cooking the stew), heat 2 - 3 tablespoons of oil. Coat beef with seasoned flour and place into pot to brown. You are not cooking the beef here, simply adding a nice brown crust.
- Add in the garlic, onion, parsnips and baby carrots and stir cooking slightly until onion and garlic are soft.
- De glaze the pan 1 1/2 cups of water making sure to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. If you are cooking in a slow cooker now is when you would transfer the ingredients to the slow cooker pot.
- Add in the brown sugar, beef broth, beer, dash of worceshire, thyme, chocolate and bay leaves and allow to simmer on low for at least 6 hours or slow cook on high for 4 - 5 hours or low for 6 - 8. Season with salt and pepper if needed and serve!