Who doesn't love mozzarella sticks? What I don't like is the extra grease and fat. Here's a simple baked version that tastes just as good as the real thing. Kids will love them and they are a perfect appetizer for any party :)
- 1 package mozzarella string cheese
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper
- marinara sauce for dipping
- Place unwrapped mozzarella sticks in the freezer for about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the flour, egg whites and bread crumbs seasoned with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning in a shallow dish.
- Dredge the mozzarella into the flour, then the egg whites and finally dredge in the bread crumbs. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat for remaining mozzarella sticks.
- Bake for about 10 - 15 minutes turning after 5 minutes. Serve with your favorite marinara or this homemade version :)