These make great gifts, they are wax coated pine cones that work as fire starters in wood stoves and fireplaces. I just saw a gift basket of them at my local Christmas Store and it was on sale for $80 ..so I had to figure out how to make them on my own.
Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/missrae18/4873261639/
What You Need
- Dry pine cones
- Wax (candle or crayons stubs, paraffin, beeswax, etc.)
- A double boiler
- Foil or wax paper
- Essential oils (optional)
- Spices (optional)
- Candle dye or crayons for color (optional
- Melt wax in a double boiler (do not leave unattended).Add a few drops of essential oil to the wax, if desired.Add candle dye or a few broken crayon pieces to the wax for color, if desired.
- Dip the first pine cone into the wax using tongs. Coat thoroughly.
- Hold the cone over the melted wax until it stops dripping. Then, place it on a piece of foil or wax paper to dry.
- Repeat with the remaining pine cones.
- Once the wax has hardened, your pine cone fire starters are ready for use. Just stick one in the fireplace with some kindling, and light.
- To dry freshly gathered pine cones, place them on a cookie sheet; and bake them in a 150 degree oven for one to two hours (watching them closely). Once the pine cones open up, they're done.
- For even more fragrance, sprinkle your favorite spice onto the pine cones before the wax has had a chance to dry. Try cinnamon, thyme or rosemary for a delicious scent that will fill your whole house.
- Make up several different colors of fire starters, and display them on your fireplace in a big basket.
The possibilities are endless as far as gift baskets, so be creative and use with a mix of greens and dried flowers for the festive look.