After just having been apple picking we have an abundance of apples in the house. Having never made homemade cider I thought I'd give it a try. This not only tastes delicious but it also gets your house smelling so good!
- 10 - 12 medium size apples
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3 tbl allspice
- 1 tbl cloves
- 1 whole nutmeg
- Wash apples well and quarter them (leave the skin and seeds in tact). Place inside your slow cooker and fill with water until it just covers the apples.
- Add in sugar and spices and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or on high for 4 - 5 hours.
- After cooking, remove cinnamon sticks and nutmeg. Mash the apples with a potato masher until all the pulp is released.
- Strain liquid in a strainer over a large bowl until most of the juice has drained. Place the pulp into a cheesecloth and squeeze over the bowl to release the remaining juices.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week or freeze for later use.