I look forward to fried green tomatoes every season. It's a great way to use up those few tomatoes that don't want ripen or just a way to use your garden tomatoes when you can't wait for them to turn red! Here's a healthier take on the typically fried green tomato :)
- 5 medium sized green tomatoes
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbl creole seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and sprinkle each side with salt and pepper.
- Pour buttermilk and flour with salt and pepper in separate shallow dishes. Combine cornmeal, creole seasoning and paprika into another shallow dish.
- Prepare a wire rack with cooking spray. Place wire rack over a large cookie sheet or jelly roll pan to catch crumb drippings.
- Coat tomatoes in flour, then dip into buttermilk, finally dredge into cornmeal mixture. Place onto wire rack and spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes turning once after 10 minutes.