Conversation Hearts have always been a Valentine's Day staple...at least in our house :) This homemade version is great because you can experiment with colors and flavors, the kids will like that! These would also be a great idea for wedding favors!
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp light corn syrup
- 2 lbs powdered sugar, plus additional for dusting
- flavored extracts of your choice
- food colors of your choice
- heart shaped cookie cutters
- food coloring markers (like these from Wilton www.shopbakersnook.com)
- Mix corn syrup, gelatin and water in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds until the gelatin is dissolved and stir well.
- Pour gelatin mixture into large bowl. While mixing (use electric mixer) add in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time until all sugar has been added and is well incorporated. This will result in a very thick dough once all the sugar has been mixed in.
- Dust a work surface with additional powdered sugar and knead the candy dough until no longer sticky. Divide the dough into sections depending on how many colors and flavors you are going to make.
- Begin adding your colors and flavors. Flatten out each ball of candy dough and add in a few drops of food coloring and extract in the center. Knead the dough until the color and extract is incorporated. Repeat process for remaining dough. * Helps to wear plastic gloves so your hands don't get colored!
- Dust your work surface again with powdered sugar and roll out candy to desired thickness. Use heart shaped cookie cutters to cut out the hearts. Re roll the scraps and continue until the dough is used up.
- Place hearts on a surface where you will be able to allow them to dry for at least 24 hours. Once dried, write your messages on the hearts with food coloring markers.
Store hearts in an airtight container at room temperature....or put them in decorative bags for gifts!