Every time I read a rolled cookie dough recipe that calls to chill the dough for 1 hour I cringe. Try explaining to a 3 year old that we have to let the dough chill for an hour before we can roll the dough and use the cookie cutters. OK I admit, I'm impatient too. Here's a way to get the dough cooked and cookies cut into shapes so you can get decorating without waiting the hour to chill the dough.
|Yes, Santas can have blue hats....never argue with a 3 year old!|
You can use your favorite sugar cookie dough recipe or follow this one here:
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream sugar and butter in a large bowl. Add in egg and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder and gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Beat well until dough is well mixed. See below for baking instructions......
- Confectioners sugar
- M&M's or other small candies
- Mini Marshmallows
Here's the trick to not chilling the dough....
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- With a spatula, spread the dough evenly until the dough is approximately 1/2 inch thick. This can be a little tricky but it works, try dipping your spatula in water so the dough doesn't stick as much.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until slightly golden. Let cool 15 minutes.
- Using a drinking glass (or round cookie cutter if you have one) cut discs out of cooked dough.